THE PLANK OCTOBER 19, 2009
- How the Taliban and Al Qaeda Are Merging--And Why We Should Be Very Worried, by Peter Bergen
- Can R. Crumb Do Justice to the First Book of the Bible? by Robert Alter
- The Administration Finally Has an Official Darfur Policy. But Where’s Obama? by Barron YoungSmith
- Spend and Deliver: Sorry, Health Care Reform Means Higher Taxes , by The Editors
- TNR Flashback: How 'Freakonomics' Is Ruining the Dismal Science, by Noam Scheiber
- Democrats Are Starting Down a Big Problem With Young Voters, by E.J. Dionne Jr.
- TNR Debate: Lawrence Lessig Lets His Transparency Critics Have It, by Lawrence Lessig
- The Behind-the-Scenes Feud Between 'The Washington Post' and 'The New York Times', by Gabriel Sherman
- Beyond Detroit: The Long Shadow of the Auto Industry Collapse, by Howard Wial
- Can We Recreate the Mayo Clinic's Success on a Nationwide Scale? by Harold Pollack
As always, be sure to check out economic news on The Stash, environment and energy coverage on The Vine, the latest on health care at The Treatment, metro policy debate on The Avenue, and Marty Peretz's The Spine. Also be sure to take a look at TNR's new blogs by William Galston, Simon Johnson, Ed Kilgore, Damon Linker, and John McWhorter.