The New Republic covers politics, culture and big ideas from an unbiased and thought-provoking perspective. Well-known for its century-old tradition of providing context and analysis beyond the daily headlines, The New Republic has been reimagined for the 21st century with fresh and compelling design across print, digital, and mobile devices.
Our purpose is not simply to tell interesting stories, but to always ask why these stories matter and tie their reporting back to our readers. To do this, The New Republic has evolved from a print magazine to become a media company that produces live events featuring our staff and other experts.
The New Republic is led by its Publisher and Editor-in-Chief, Chris Hughes. A Facebook co-founder and digital campaign strategist for the 2008 Obama Campaign, Hughes purchased The New Republic in March 2012 to help build a future for substantive journalism in a digital age.
The Communications Intern supports the Director of Communications with all public and media relations efforts - including publicity of The New Republic’s content, talent, and brand. The right candidate will be creative, passionate about news, self-motivated and possess strong writing skills. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn a lot about both the editorial and business sides of working at a magazine.
- Write daily pitches to influential journalists and media producers
- Build press lists of journalists, bloggers, and producers for pitching purposes
- Help build media plan for each new issue of the magazine
- Attend weekly editorial and communications strategy meetings
- Closely follow the daily news cycle
- Be a close part of other, long-term communications team projects
- Must value original, premium, long-form journalism
- Excellent communication skills
- Organized, disciplined, and strong work ethic
- Desire to work in a startup-like environment
- Ability to work a minimum of 20 hours a week
The ideal candidate would be available to start immediately and work through mid-May. This is an unpaid position based in our Washington, DC office.
Please send cover letter and resume to Annie Augustine at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Communications Intern. No phone calls and no snail mail.
The New Republic is looking for individuals interested in joining our latest experiment: New Republic Labs. New Republic Labs is an editorial-minded workshop committed to improving how The New Republic evolves on all digital platforms. Fellows will be responsible for reporting, writing, editing and producing original work for NewRepublic.com. People who thrive in a fast moving environment, enjoy balancing multiple assignments at once and are eager to learn from data should apply. Applicants should submit:
- A one-page résumé.
- Two clips.
- Your active public social media profiles (Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Quora, Vine, etc.)
- A critique of one piece published to The Plank: http://www.newrepublic.com/tags/plank. Please focus your story on editorial elements -- strength of the argument, headline, images -- and avoid discussing the actual design of the page.
This position is based in New York City. This fellowship lasts for 5 months and will include a monthly stipend. To apply, please email the items above to email@example.com with the subject line "New Republic Labs Fellowship." The deadline for applications is February 7th, but a great fit could start sooner.
- Build an enterprise-level, progressively enhancing, responsive web site with a primary focus on performanceSpring Web Intern
- Author organizational front-end code and style guide
- Work with written requirements, API documentation, and other business needs to deliver projects on-time
- Interested in building data news interactives, applications, and vizualizations
- Manage and extend marketing, sponsorship, and business requirements
- Willing to keep up with emerging technologies; specifically AngularJS, polyfills, and WebComponents
- Be adaptable; interested in experimenting with and developing new projects
- Willing to bring in your own ideas and recommendations to our roadmap
qualifications & requirements
- Understanding of OOP
- Able to architect, author, and extend: Backbone, Underscore, jQuery (and various plugins) with RequireJS / Modernizr
- CSS preprecessor experience (Sass preferred)
- Possess command-line Git skills and can operate the software outside of the confines of GitHub
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Excellent understanding of the client-side stack; specifically how browsers allocate and release memory
- Experience with performance optimization tools
- Experience with content management systems and/or media publishing
- PHP / Drupal experience
- Proven UX skills
- D3 or other visualization library
The New Republic is seeking a spring editorial intern to start immediately in our DC office. Candidates should display close attention to detail, have strong writing and editing skills, and show initiative in seeking out opportunities to contribute to the magazine. The position is unpaid. Journalism experience is preferred, but not imperative; some familiarity with HTML is helpful, but not crucial. Interns are asked to contribute to The New Republic by:
- Conducting research for editors
- Copy-editing pieces
- Assisting in web production
- Pitching and writing blog posts and web pieces.
- Undertaking occasional administrative and organizational tasks
To apply, submit a resume, cover letter, and two clips or writing samples to ebreger[AT]tnr.com with the subject “Spring Web Internship.”
The New Republic is looking for reporter-researchers for its 2014-2015 program. Job duties include reporting, researching, writing, and fact-checking for the politics section of The New Republic's print magazine and website; as well as assisting with web production and performing occasional clerical tasks. Reporter-researchers work closely with writers and editors, and are strongly encouraged to write articles. Most reporter-researchers finish their program with a substantial portfolio of clips and have gone on to work almost everywhere in journalism—including The New Republic itself. The year-long job will begin in summer 2014 and will include a salary and benefits. Graduating seniors as well as recent graduates and graduates from post-grad programs are welcome to apply. Please e-mail the following items to Amanda Silverman at job [at] tnr [dot] com, with the subject line "(Your Name) RR Application 2014":
- A cover letter.
- A one-page résumé.
- A 750-word critique of the politics section (the Mall and Features) of a recent issue of the magazine. The critique should assess the strengths and weaknesses of at least two pieces within the politics section of the issue; please do not merely summarize. Please do not exceed the word count.
- Two clips
No phone calls and no snail mail (undue phone calling is especially unwelcome). We don’t have time to let you know that we received your applications, so please don’t expect confirmation. The deadline is January 31, 2014.
The Advertising Director will report to the VP of Advertising and will respond to RFP's, provide creative solutions to marketers, and create compelling proposals which will drive advertising revenue. The Director will have a list of clients and advertising agency contacts, and will be responsible for developing relationships and understanding the client's business.
desired skills & experience
The position requires an appreciation for and interest in politics and culture. The position also requires strong presentation skills, demonstrated success in selling digital advertising, particularly native advertising, and an ability to interpret metrics, which are used to evaluate an advertiser's success. The right candidate will be energetic, creative, smart, and focused. A minimum of 4 years experience in digital media sales, contacts at major digital advertising agencies in NYC, strong sales presentation skills, and excellent relationship and time management skills are required.
The Marketing Manager will be responsible for creating sales tools and ideas which will drive advertising revenue in digital, print, mobile and events. The manager will work closely with the VP of Advertising to set and execute a marketing strategy which will drive revenue and create a heightened awareness and demonstrate the core values and mission of the brand. The manager will be responsible for the event strategy directing content, creating concepts for advertisers and helping to monetize the programs. The manager will create sponsored content for digital advertisers based on their goals and values. The manager will propose integrated programs to advertisers which will drive revenue in both print and digital.
desired skills & experience:
- At least five years of marketing experience at a digital company.
- Exceptional writing skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Highly creative and willingness to look at brand marketing from a different perspective.
- Must have a sense of urgency and the ability to meet hard deadlines.
- Thorough understanding of digital metrics and how to monetize for marketers.
- Experience in social media campaigns essential.
- Experience creating advertiser-sponsored events, sponsored content and posts, keynote decks, and understanding basic research tools are essential.
- The manager must be interested in the political, culture and arts content of The New Republic.
- The position can be based in New York or Washington, DC.