The New Republic covers politics, culture and big ideas from an unbiased and thought-provoking perspective. Well-known for its century-old tradition of providing context and analysis beyond the daily headlines, The New Republic has been reimagined for the 21st century with fresh and compelling design across print, digital, and mobile devices.
Our purpose is not simply to tell interesting stories, but to always ask why these stories matter and tie their reporting back to our readers. To do this, The New Republic has evolved from a print magazine to become a media company that produces live events featuring our staff and other experts.
The New Republic is led by its Publisher and Editor-in-Chief, Chris Hughes. A Facebook co-founder and digital campaign strategist for the 2008 Obama Campaign, Hughes purchased The New Republic in March 2012 to help build a future for substantive journalism in a digital age.
- Technical Project Manager
- Summer Web Intern
- New Republic Lab Fellowships
- Advertising Director
The New Republic is seeking a Technical Project Manager responsible for leading a small team of interdepartmental members, product owners, and stakeholders. This role will partner directly with various department heads to communicate directly with the COO and CEO on ongoing projects, product roadmap updates, and other various digital product tasks and requirements.
- Requires an agile understanding of Agile methods, where function and efficiency take precedent over form and intransigency
- Act as Team Lead / Scrum Master in charge of allocating resources, distraction protection, obstacle removal, department liaison, and overall task and personnel manager
- Understanding of the procedures and tools that enable a team to work with agility
- Ability to anticipate needs, concerns, features, bugs, and (more generally) the future
- Excellent product instincts and a desire to be more involved in the organization's roadmap + evolution of product features
qualifications & requirements
- 2+ years of relevant project management experience, preferably within the media or content publishing industry
- Experience managing and collaborating with vendors, contractors, freelancers, remote workers
- Understanding of HTML/CSS
- Basic experience with native app development process
- Proficiency in Excel
- Experience with various types of project management software and an understanding of how to get the best out of each (Jira, Basecamp, Trello, Redmine, etc)
- Knowledge of content management systems, preferably Drupal (or WordPress)
- A desire to take some product ownership and help define and influence the long-term product roadmap
To apply, please send resume + cover letter to email@example.com.
The New Republic is seeking a summer editorial intern for our DC office. Candidates should display close attention to detail, have strong writing and editing skills, and show initiative in seeking out opportunities to contribute to the magazine. The position is unpaid. Journalism experience is preferred, but not imperative; some familiarity with HTML is helpful, but not crucial. Interns are asked to contribute to The New Republic by:
- Conducting research for editors
- Copy-editing pieces
- Assisting in web production
- Pitching and writing blog posts and web pieces.
- Undertaking occasional administrative and organizational tasks
To apply, submit a resume, cover letter, and two clips or writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Summer Web Internship” by March 28.
The New Republic is looking for individuals interested in joining our latest experiment: New Republic Labs. New Republic Labs is an editorial-minded workshop committed to improving how The New Republic evolves on all digital platforms. Fellows will be responsible for reporting, writing, editing and producing original work for NewRepublic.com. People who thrive in a fast moving environment, enjoy balancing multiple assignments at once and are eager to learn from data should apply. Applicants should submit:
- A one-page résumé.
- Two clips.
- Your active public social media profiles (Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Quora, Vine, etc.)
- A critique of one piece published to The Plank: http://www.newrepublic.com/tags/plank. Please focus your story on editorial elements -- strength of the argument, headline, images -- and avoid discussing the actual design of the page.
This position is based in New York City. This fellowship lasts for 5 months and will include a monthly stipend. To apply, please email the items above to email@example.com with the subject line "New Republic Labs Fellowship." The deadline for applications is February 7th, but a great fit could start sooner.
The New Republic is looking for reporter-researchers for its 2014-2015 program. Job duties include reporting, researching, writing, and fact-checking for the politics section of The New Republic's print magazine and website; as well as assisting with web production and performing occasional clerical tasks. Reporter-researchers work closely with writers and editors, and are strongly encouraged to write articles. Most reporter-researchers finish their program with a substantial portfolio of clips and have gone on to work almost everywhere in journalism—including The New Republic itself. The year-long job will begin in summer 2014 and will include a salary and benefits. Graduating seniors as well as recent graduates and graduates from post-grad programs are welcome to apply. Please e-mail the following items to Amanda Silverman at job [at] tnr [dot] com, with the subject line "(Your Name) RR Application 2014":
- A cover letter.
- A one-page résumé.
- A 750-word critique of the politics section (the Mall and Features) of a recent issue of the magazine. The critique should assess the strengths and weaknesses of at least two pieces within the politics section of the issue; please do not merely summarize. Please do not exceed the word count.
- Two clips
No phone calls and no snail mail (undue phone calling is especially unwelcome). We don’t have time to let you know that we received your applications, so please don’t expect confirmation. The deadline is January 31, 2014.
The Advertising Director will report to the VP of Advertising and will respond to RFP's, provide creative solutions to marketers, and create compelling proposals which will drive advertising revenue. The Director will have a list of clients and advertising agency contacts, and will be responsible for developing relationships and understanding the client's business.
desired skills & experience
The position requires an appreciation for and interest in politics and culture. The position also requires strong presentation skills, demonstrated success in selling digital advertising, particularly native advertising, and an ability to interpret metrics, which are used to evaluate an advertiser's success. The right candidate will be energetic, creative, smart, and focused. A minimum of 4 years experience in digital media sales, contacts at major digital advertising agencies in NYC, strong sales presentation skills, and excellent relationship and time management skills are required.