The New Republic covers politics, culture and big ideas from an unbiased and thought-provoking perspective. Well-known for its century-old tradition of providing context and analysis beyond the daily headlines, The New Republic has been reimagined for the 21st century with fresh and compelling design across print, digital, and mobile devices.
Our purpose is not simply to tell interesting stories, but to always ask why these stories matter and tie their reporting back to our readers. To do this, The New Republic has evolved from a print magazine to become a media company that produces live events featuring our staff and other experts.
The New Republic is led by its Publisher and Editor-in-Chief, Chris Hughes. A Facebook co-founder and digital campaign strategist for the 2008 Obama Campaign, Hughes purchased The New Republic in March 2012 to help build a future for substantive journalism in a digital age.
What you'll be doing
You will be leading a growing development team that builds and iterates beautiful products. That includes working with designers, leading complex API integrations, coding the majority of new products and helping others on the team produce great work. You will be the go-to person for technical decisions and will help us craft a development roadmap to meet our aggressive audience and revenue goals.
Who we are
We are a small magazine company that is focused on a bright digital future. Our brand - The New Republic - is celebrating its centennial this year and we're exceptionally proud of our intelligent, award-winning content. Our goals are to continue building our online audience while exploring new products that will delight our readers. We develop for desktop, mobile and social platforms, and get excited about emerging platforms.
How we work
We think our relatively small size gives us the advantage of being able to move quickly (rather than just saying we do). We understand the value of ideas and prefer to keep all employees engaged in the creative process. Our development team employs basic Agile methodology, with an emphasis on results over process. We're continuously evolving not just what we build, but also how we build it. We welcome remote developers.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for an experienced, savvy web developer who is passionate about clean and scaleable code. You will participate in all aspects of the product development cycle. We're not only looking for someone who can take Photoshop comps and code them, but also for someone who can advise how web technologies can inform product designs. You should value teamwork over heroics and pragmatism over dogmatism.
- Familiarity with modern frameworks like Node, Backbone, Angular, etc.
- Experience consuming and interacting with APIs
- Expertise with front-end development: HTML, CSS, LESS, Sass
- AJAX skills (e.g. XMLHttpRequests, JSON, XML)
- MySQL and basic SQL experience
- Passion for open-source projects - Drupal, WordPress, and others
- Version control through Git and command line deployment scripts
- Using, customizing, writing and deploying Grunt configurations
- Constant desire to learn and teach new technologies
- Site performance testing and optimization
- Strong understanding of the responsive image landscape, where it’s going, and which paths are worth our time and efforts
- An excellent understanding of the client-side stack: how browsers allocate and release memory, performance engineering, site speed optimization techniques
- Experience with Objective C, willingness to learn Swift
- Unit testing / continuous integration concepts & frameworks
- Ability to work inside Apache and nginx environments
- Experience with or interest in design and UI
- Interest in data visualization libraries such as d3
- Experience with Agile methodology
Interested? Send a resume with URLs of sites you've worked on describing your role, your Github URL and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About The New Republic
Tailored for smart, curious, socially aware readers, The New Republic covers politics, culture and big ideas from an unbiased and thought-provoking perspective. Well-known for its century-old tradition of providing context and analysis beyond the daily headlines, The New Republic has been reimagined for the 21st century with fresh and compelling design across print, digital, and mobile devices
The New Republic is seeking a highly-motivated Sales Planner who will be responsible for managing all aspects of the sales process, ranging from creating prospect lists and compelling media plans to tracking campaign performance and compiling delivery reports. The position will be based in DC and will report to the interim VP of advertising.
- Develop compelling and efficient media plans for sales presentations
- Interact with ad serving partner to ensure successful delivery of all digital campaigns
- Maintain ad inventory database and send periodic forecast reports
- Support sales reps with preliminary outreach and prospect lists
- Process IOs and gather all ad creative materials
- Book and track inventory in DFP with an eye for optimizing campaigns and anticipating issues
- Serve as point person for basic client questions
- Create compelling post-campaign reports and refine ad products to increase client retention
- Assist with logistics and oversee audience recruitment for live events
- Work closely with ad sales team in developing digital proposals and meeting ad revenue goals
qualifications and requirements
- Bachelor's degree required
- A minimum of one year of experience in a digital media environment, familiarity with Salesforce strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional organization and communication skills
- Self-starter who can independently manage multiple priorities and collaborate in a team environment
To apply, please send resume + cover letter to email@example.com.
The Advertising Account Manager will report to the VP of Advertising and will respond to RFPs, provide creative solutions to marketers, and create compelling proposals, which will drive advertising revenue. The manager will have a list of clients and advertising agency contacts, and will be responsible for developing relationships and understanding the client's business.
desired skills and experience
- An appreciation for and interst in politics and culture
- Strong presentation skills
- Demonstrated success in selling digital advertising, particularly native advertising
- An ability to interpret metrics, which are used to evaluate an advertiser's success
- Contacts at major digital advertising agencies in NYC
- Excellent relationship and time management skills
- Minimum of 4 years experience in digital media sales
- The right candidate will be energetic, creative, smart, and focused
- The position is based in New York, NY
To apply, please send resume + cover letter with subject line "Advertising Account Manager Application" to Bob Brennan at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
The New Republic is looking for individuals interested in joining our latest experiment: New Republic Labs. New Republic Labs is an editorial-minded workshop committed to improving how The New Republic evolves on all digital platforms. Fellows will be responsible for reporting, writing, editing and producing original work for NewRepublic.com. People who thrive in a fast moving environment, enjoy balancing multiple assignments at once and are eager to learn from data should apply. Applicants should submit:
- A one-page résumé.
- Two clips.
- Your active public social media profiles (Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Quora, Vine, etc.)
- A critique of one piece published to The Plank: http://www.newrepublic.com/tags/plank. Please focus your story on editorial elements -- strength of the argument, headline, images -- and avoid discussing the actual design of the page.
This position is based in New York City. This fellowship lasts for 5 months and will include a monthly stipend. To apply, please email the items above to email@example.com with the subject line "New Republic Labs Fellowship." The deadline for applications is February 7th, but a great fit could start sooner.